John R. Seeger
Areas of Expertise
J.R. is available for training, consulting and speaking engagements, with notable expertise in the following areas:
- Security, counterterrorism
- Intelligence, clandestine operations
- Leadership, strategy, vision
- Risk assessment and management
- Political issues, international business
- Aerospace, military
- Performance improvement, sales
One of SPYEX's most experienced trainers, John R. Seeger (J.R.) is a retired Senior Intelligence Service officer who served in the CIA for 22 years. He served 17 years in multiple field assignments focused on counterterrorism, counterintelligence and irregular warfare. During his final, 3-year assignment in CIA Headquarters, he first served as a chief of operations for a geographic division in the Directorate of Operations and then served as a deputy director and deputy chief of the CIA Counterterrorism Center. Seeger led multiple, small unit teams during his service, including leading one of the CIA teams that infiltrated into Afghanistan after 9/11.
Since his retirement, Seeger has designed and delivered multiple training programs for the US Intelligence Community and multiple units in the US Special Operations forces. He's served as an instructor, role player and course designer at the US Army HUMINT Training / Joint Center of Excellence. Seeger has also provided consultancy support as an open source researcher and lecturer on Islamic radicalization and South Asia for federal law enforcement and private sector clients.
He is an annuitant for the CIA Museum and an advisor/subject matter expert for Sandia National Labs. He is also a published author with eight novels and over a dozen articles in the intelligence community peer-reviewed journal, Studies in Intelligence and two in the Journal of the T.E. Lawrence Society.
Today, Seeger's intel-derived training for the private sector includes unique adult learning techniques, utilizing a mix of practical exercises and informative lectures.
- Small unit leadership in challenging environments
- Personal security in medium to high threat environments
- Intelligence and special operations history with special emphasis on WWII and early Cold War
- Insider threat and how to mediate the threat
- Islamic extremist ideologies
Experts from the world's top agencies and institutions — now available to boost your mission.